Women in Quantum Development
WIQD (pronounced “wicked”) is a professional network for quantum technology enthusiasts from industry, academia and policy.
Our mission is to bring together women in quantum in the Netherlands, and beyond, for support, networking, and community growth.
A network of women in quantum
We started WIQD to address a simple problem: there are not very many women in the field of quantum computing. Unfortunately, we believe that this condition is somewhat self-sustaining.
With few or no women role models, it may be difficult for some women to imagine themselves in a long-term career in quantum computing.
On the flip side, a support network of women peers could have a positive impact on the retention of women in the field, but for many women from smaller groups, there are few opportunities to form such a network.
In order to achieve our mission, we plan to organize events multiple times per year. These events should be:
Useful: We’re all busy, so let’s take the opportunity to discuss science when we meet.
Interactive: There will always be a networking component to our events to foster new connections.
Inspiring: We will seek to organize events with people from different career stages, including as diverse as possible role models, with built-in opportunities to inspire one another.
Every month we organise an online Inspiring Talk from the WIQD World with a keynote speaker that could be a role model for our community. Also, we have in-person quarterly events such as workshops, network events, new year drinks, and more. And our yearly flagship event WIQD’s annual symposium, which you do not want to miss. It’s a day full of networking, diversity, inclusion, quantum and getting inspired by the community. If you want to join our online WIQD community please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to request to join our Slack Channel to participate in discussions with the WIQD community.
Committees – Who we are
The WIQD steering committee consists of (in alphabetical order by last name):
- Julia Cramer (co-chair; Leiden University)
- Stacey Jeffery (co-chair; CWI & QuSoft)
- Lisa Kohl (CWI)
- Ingrid Romijn (QuTech & Q*Bird)
- Arghavan Safavi-Naini (University of Amsterdam)
- Romana Schirhagl (University of Groningen)
The WIQD organizing committee consists of:
- Judith Kreukels (Chair & Project Manager; UvA)
- Yvonne Smit (Coordinator Communication & Impact; freelance (previously QuSoft))
- Mathilde Lemang (Secretary; QphoX)
- Garazi Muguruza (Network Officer; QuSoft / UvA)
- Marieke Kootte (PR officer; TU Delft)
- Vandana Dwarka (PR Officer; TU Delft)
- Caiseal Beardow (TU Delft)
- Alicja Dutkiewicz (Leiden University)
- Miriam Lucio (Maastricht University)
- Rima Schüssler (QuSoft/UvA)
- Taryn Stefanski (TU Delft)